Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Trek or Wars? Poll

  1. #11
    Inactive Member jenndon's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2005
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Star Wars, but I've never really seen Star Trek. Y'all are peaking my interest. Are the movies decent--if I don't have any other background or knowledge?

    And trvnbrn--I saw them in the theatres too. I remember waiting in line with my dad when Empire Strikes Back came out.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member carolinapooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2005
    Posts
    631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Star Trek - the original movies! Kirk cracks me up. I remember when the first one came out; I wanted to go but I had the flu. My dad took my sister but brought me home a cup from the movie theater with all the characters on it. "Star Trek - The Motion Picture".

    And Patrick Stewart - OMG - he is FINE.

    As for Star Wars - the original three are far superior, IMO. I remember when they came out, too! I used to pretend to be Princess Leia, and this really tall guy I know was Chewbacca.

    Even back then I thought Harrison Ford was PERFECT. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Yes, I think you COULD watch the Trek movies without prior knowledge. After all, we all pretty much know the characters. I highly recommend the third one where Spock lands on Genesis (I won't say any more than that)!

    ETA - I can't listen to James Earl Jones speak without hearing Darth Vader! Anyone else have that problem? I love his voice - I could sit and listen to him read the phone book.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 13, 2005 05:04 PM: Message edited by: AGCrayZee ]</font>

  3. #13
    Inactive Member zap_sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2005
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was raised on Star Trek. I used to put a headband over my eyes and run around the house pretending to Jordie LaForge. My parents also had me watch their ancient videos of Star Wars when I was in first grade. I remember running into class shouting about how I had seen the best movie in the world. I fell even further into Star Wars when they rereleased it in theaters in 1997. Hiatus until Episode two was about to come out and I fell into the wonderful world of the Expanded Universe. Comic books, Jedi Apprentice, fanfics, the whole shebang. I used to get into Star Wars knowledge duels with the boys when I was in middle school. I always won. I also saw Episode Three on the day it came out. Wow.

    Right now I'd have to say Star Wars has a better tug on me but I love Star Trek, especially the original series. I heart Spock!

  4. #14
    Inactive Member SayuriWhispers's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2005
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Star Wars. Star Wars. Star Wars.

    I've only seen a few episode of Star Trek and it never really grabbed me. I'm a sci-fi buff, totally obsessed with X-Files and MST3K, but Trek just doesn't do it for me.

    I was the person the who didn't see Star Wars until I was almost an adult and I was hooked from the first time I saw "A New Hope". It's not just a series of movies, it's an epic. And an allegory. It taps into our most basic struggles and desires. In a word: Amazing.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well as I said I am Star Trek but just to clarify I have not seen that much of it. I have seen all of Voyager, because I LOVE LOVE LOVE Star Trek Voyager!!!
    I have seen some of Star Trek Enterprise and it was good and all but didn't compare to Voyager.
    I have only seen few episodes of the Orginla Star Trek series and I liked it but again it was nowhere new as good as Voyager.
    I have never seen Deep Space Nine so I can't comment.

    So I am for Star Trek and I don't like Star Wars, but within Star Trek I mostly only like Voyager. I LOVE VOYAGER!!!

  6. #16
    Inactive Member rachie421's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    712
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Definitely Star Wars.

    Although I like sci-fi in general, I have never gotton into Star Trek. As a Literature student Im going to have to disagree with whoever said Star Wars is just entertainment. I think Star Trek does offer more political metaphors to make one think. But Star Wars is a traditional story that follows the classic hero cycle and is very mythological. All of the symbolism and classic archetypes that were adjusted perfectly for a science fiction setting make it a work of pure genious imo.

    I just finished a mythology class that spent a great deal of time covering Star Wars because of how it fit into Joseph Campbell's hero cycle. I was aware of some of this before my class and had always loved the trilogy but now I appreciate it even more. So if anyone is as geeky as I am and wants to hear all of those amazing details pm me and Id love to tell ya [img]smile.gif[/img]

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 13, 2005 07:37 PM: Message edited by: *shortie* ]</font>

  7. #17
    Inactive Member robin0850's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    1,270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Talk about showing your age---

    I saw the original Star Trek TV show when it first came out on television when I was 7 years old. We thought it was the most futuristic, high-tech show we'd ever seen--which was true at the time!

    I saw the original Star Wars movie in the theatre when I was 17--it was an instant blockbuster; everyone wanted to be a jedi with a lightsabre!

    So, of course I love both--I've seen all the movies, and all the spin-off TV series, except the "pre-quel" one for Star Trek.

    Both are classics, and both stir their own brand of nostalgia in my heart! [img]smile.gif[/img]

  8. #18
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    Star Trek! I love all the Star Trek series and movies, but I am totally obsessed with DS9! I have seen all of the episodes no less than 10 times (most epis many more times), no joke [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    I like Star Wars okay, but not NEAERLY as much as Star Trek.

  9. #19
    monimarine
    Guest monimarine's Avatar

    Post

    shortie has a point. If you read interviews with George Lucas about his inspirations for Star Wars or his thoughts behind Darth Vader he does mention Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" and believe it or not the concept of Anakin's father being some sort of "divine" or "spiritual being" and its relevance still came from Campbell, and not the New Testament. This is reflected by Shmi Skywalker's explanation to Qui Gon in The Phantom Menace. (Campbell's book is "Folk Stories of Virgin Motherhood)

    AGCrazee, I too can't listen to James Earl Jones without thinking of Darth Vader, no matter what show or movie or interview he is doing at the time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    I was enthralled from the get go. My mother took me to the theater opening night in 1977 and from then on it became a tradition. When I dated, or do date someone, the first thing my mother wants to know is whether or not he likes Star Wars! LOL

  10. #20
    Dancin'4'AG
    Guest Dancin'4'AG's Avatar

    Post

    STar Wars! Hehe [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •